Tuesday 23 June 2009

Infusion Set - Site Failure

It was late afternoon, I was sitting in a cafe in town with my lovely husband, with a latte in front of me. My meter sat on my knee under the table staring back at me with a number that didn't make sense. Ok, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and bolused for the number and the milk in the latte. Thought that'd be the end of it. An hour later, when I got home, that darn number was still the same. It shouldn't have been.

I was sure I'd had a site failure.

A 'site' is where the cannula goes under the skin with whatever infusion sets are used with the insulin pump. In my case, with the Animas 2020, I use the Inset II (pictured) - today, a pink one.

So off I went to grab another infusion set. Inserted it a couple of inches over and hooked up with the old line. Meanwhile, my BGLs had been going up and up. Once hooked up, and because I wasn't all that high, I bolused again. Success! Within 45 minutes my BGLs were starting to come down. Yessss!

I then pulled out the old infusion set and sure enough, a bent cannula. I thought I'd done everything right with the insertion of that infusions set, but something still went wrong.

It happens.