Tuesday 2 June 2009

Hooked up and flying! (Animas 2020)

Pump-start day yesterday!!! All went very smoothly. Out to dinner last night. BGLs really great, but some tweaking of basals probably in store next week. Even got the software to work on Vista (the Australian version isn't supposed to). Downloaded the pump data. Site change & refill today with the rep and handed in the reports from the downloaded data - less than 24 hours worth (LOL). Off to breakfast in town. So easy to bolus! Learning to trust what the pump tells me to do.

Am so loving this pump!! I made exactly the right choice for me.

Some hints before anyone goes on the pump.

  • Do lots of homework.
  • Download the manual and familiarise yourself with the functions.
  • Do the online pump-school on the Animas site.
  • Read "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh, and then once you're hooked up, use it to understand more.
  • Play with the virtual pump on the Animas site.
  • Make a list of your favourite foods with carbs so you can upload them to your pump later.
  • Read pumping blogs and posts on Tu Diabetes and other sites.
  • And ask questions!

The more you learn beforehand, the easier pump-start day will be. No two people's requirements will be the same, but reading about others' experiences was invaluable for me!

I have the most awesome Animas trainer on the planet (sorry, I want to claim this one). Not only does she wear the Animas 2020 herself, but is a fountain of knowledge and helpful information, given in a language catered to whatever level you're at. She's very kind and encouraging, and has a wicked sense of humour - definitely things I appreciate in any trainer. I can't praise her and my DE highly enough for making this transition easy and painless in so many ways.

I'm definitely hooked up and flying!