Sunday 31 May 2009

12 Hours To Go!

Only about 12 hours to go before I get hooked up to the Animas 2020 insulin pump. It's been a long wait - more than 2 months! Despite all the preparation and learning, I've still got a ways to go. I'm in for an awesome training session. But the real hard work begins after I'm hooked up.

I have no idea what my body is going to do on an insulin pump. Will I have better control? Will there be highs and lows? Will I be able to tweak my basals and figure out whether I need 2 or 10 different basals in 24 hours? It's going to be a lot of work over the next few weeks, but something I'm more than prepared to do.

We have an 11am start, even though I am worried I won't wake easily to get there on time. My getting to sleep problem is still hanging around. Que sera sera. I really can't worry about all that tonight. I can survive on very little sleep. My only problem is waking up. So, I've got 2 alarms, my mobile phone and a phone-a-friend - someone's going to call me to make sure I'm up. Of course, there's always my husband who tries to wake me but is rarely successful. He's generally sweet and gentle, and that's the way he tries to wake me. As gorgeous as he is, I need something a little more loud.

So, I've got all my supplies ready. Only the insulin is still in the fridge. I'm about to make some food to take. Although there's a fast-food shop of sorts on the hospital grounds, if I remember correctly, everything revolves around bread, which is too high carb for me. I'd rather have a normal lunch with me. Cheaper too.

So here we go. This is the last blog before I next report, attached to a pump.