Thursday 21 May 2009

12 Days to Go!

A relatively short 12 days will fly by, I know. I had a meeting with the diabetes educator last Monday and all is going well.

Next week we work out, via a formula, what my basal insulin will be for the pump. Then the following Monday, it's pump-start day!

The protocol requires my starting basal insulin to be approved by my wonderful endo, who is 1 hour away. Faxes are still very useful, although not for me.

Failing any major catastrophes, it's all systems go.

Someone else I know from two other internet forums started on his pump today. Here's Henry's blog.

I'm constantly amazed at what is to be learned in the field of managing diabetes. I'm more than convinced we don't have nearly enough education about it. It's definitely not just a matter of matching insulin to carbs. It's so much more. So many are of the opinion (including me) that almost everything you eat can have an effect on your blood glucose. This is definitely true for me. Only 2 eggs in the morning, with nothing else, and my BGL will go up. I've proven this for years now. For me, a protein only meal still needs some insulin.

More learning about the incricacies of diabetes and more hoping that the pump-start day will be here really soon!