Friday 15 May 2009

17 Days to Go

Closer and closer - 17 days to be almost exact. I'm not counting that hard, but every time I start a blog entry, I need to add the days.

I'm still learning in preparation for my insulin pump start but also lamenting the fact that Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems (CGMS) are so lacking in Australia. I had high hopes for the Freestyle Navigator and the Dexcom 7+, but they're nowhere to be seen and don't look like they'll land here anytime soon. Pity.

CGMS, like insulin pumps, really do help in diabetes management. What you can't see, even if you test 10 times a day, is accurate trends. Is your blood glucose going up or down? What's it doing when you're asleep? At what point after food do you spike? Answers make for even tighter control.

I'm insanely jealous of those forum posters who write about their experiences with CGMS. The only CGMS available in Australia at this time, is from Medtronic. They're expensive, the sensor only lasts a 3 days (unlike those mentioned above) and the cost is beyond my current budget.